Pace University’s New York City Model UN program is planning to help cover the costs of between seven and fifteen students (depending on final budget approval, the number of eligible applicants and costs of flights) who wish to attend the Geneva International Model United Nations (GIMUN) conference, hosted at the UN Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, 24-29 March 2018 (travel may occur on days either side of these conference dates).
Pace MUN students will travel together and stay together with the MUN faculty advisor, Dr. Matthew Bolton. However, they may participate in their own delegations, not necessarily alongside other Pace students.
Pending final approval from the administration, Pace University will cover much of the cost of participation, including conference fees, flights and internal transportation and housing. However, participants accepted to go on the trip will need to make a contribution of $500, plus any passport, visa, medical or vaccination costs you need to be able to travel and your own food and entertainment costs. The payment deadline is March 1st, 2018. The Study Abroad Office will contact accepted students with information on how to make the payment.
To take advantage of this opportunity, you will need to go through an application process. Please submit your application through the Pace Education Abroad portal by December 18th, 2017 at midnight at the latest (late, email or paper submissions will not be accepted). You will need to attach these documents on the homepage of your application. You can find this on the bottom left hand side of the screen.
To be eligible to participate in this opportunity you must meet the following criteria. You must:
- Complete this application and provide a cover letter, CV/Resume, and attached information forms and waivers. Please upload the Cover Letter and CV/Resume in the “Attached Documents” section of your application. The cover letter should include answers to the following questions:
a) Why do you want to be part of GIMUN 2018? Have you ever participated before? If so, what is it that made you apply again?
b) Which country would you like to represent and why?
c) Which committee would you prefer to work in (Security Council, Human Rights Council, Arab League, World Health Organization, UN Women or ECOSOC)? How do you think your participation would contribute to the Committee’s work?
d) If you were the UN Secretary-General for a week, what is the one thing you would try to accomplish?
- Be eligible for a passport and entry into Switzerland,
- Commit to being registering in the Model UN class (POL303C) in Spring 2018 semester,
- Have completed at least one semester of Model UN at Pace University New York City Campus and participated in at least one college-level Model UN Conference,
- Be able to pay a contribution of $500 to the cost of registration, travel and accommodation, in addition to passport, visa or medical fees needed for you to be able to travel and your own food and entertainment,
- Be willing to work on your preparatory activities (position paper and speech writing) during the winter break.
Please do not yet fill out any application form on the GIMUN website itself. If you are selected to participate in the Pace delegation, we will ask you to fill that out at the appropriate time.
The following considerations will also be taken into account:
- Work ethic
- Maturity and behavior in previous classes and Model UN classes and conferences,
- Attendance and participation in previous semesters of Model UN,
- Communications and writing skills,
- Knowledge of international affairs,
- Interpersonal skills and teamwork.
Note that we will need to have a minimum of seven (7) students for Pace to be willing to fund this trip. Final decisions about logistics, how many people will go and who will be selected for this trip will be made by Dr. Joe Ryan, Chair of the Pace University New York City Political Science Department. Application materials are available in the following pages. For further details, contact Dr. Matthew Bolton, Model United Nations Advisor, Pace University New York City, firstname.lastname@example.org