Vato2

Vato Gogsadze ’16, puts the skills he learned as a Head Delegate of the Pace University New York City Model United Nations program to work in representing the Republic of Georgia at UN Headquarters in New York

As I graduate this month from Pace University and leave behind many memorable and valuable experiences, I have begun thinking about what I have learned from my five semesters in the Model United Nations program, as a student and head delegate.

When reflecting on how Model UN influenced me professionally and personally, I realized that it helped me to succeed in my internship at the Permanent Mission of Georgia to the United Nations. It is striking that what students learn in class and at the conference resembles the actual everyday work of a diplomat at the United Nations.

For instance, every year Georgia introduces the draft resolution titled Status of internally displaced persons and refugees from Abkhazia, Georgia and the Tskhinvali region/ South Ossetia, Georgia, which is then voted on by the General Assembly either in May or in June (click here for the most recent resolution, A/RES/69/286). One of the most noticeable aspects of experiencing the passing of a resolution was the resemblance of the procedure to a Model UN conference, which includes debates, rules and procedure, and voting. By being part of the Model UN team I was able to use the knowledge gained from the class and the conference in the real world.

Being a head delegate has taught me to improve my understanding of how to overcome challenges from a more responsible position. Helping first-year delegates, teaching and presenting in front of an audience, and editing and grading position papers has also made me realize how they changed the way I looked at my responsibilities at the Georgian Mission.

For example, it has developed my confidence in engaging in a professional and competent way with actual diplomats at the Mission, members of the protocol of the Prime Minister of Georgia, members of the press and diplomats from foreign diplomatic institutions. Through the Model UN, I was able to reflect on how to approach my assignments more responsibly, which helped me to gain more trust and confidence from my colleagues.

Overall, I am glad to have been a part of this community for more than two years, which has helped me to become more mature and knowledgeable. Although I look back with great sadness for leaving the group of talented, motivated, and hardworking students, I look forward to using the skills gained from being a student and a head delegate in the near future.

– Vakhtang “Vato” Gogsadze ’16.